This is not a top ten list, but rather a totally random list of things I like, listed in alphabetical order of course, and complete with links where possible.
1. Autumn leaves. Is there anything better than a big pile of leaves if you’re a kid? Probably not. As an adult I still enjoy the colour, smell, and sound of new-fallen leaves, and I even enjoy raking them up. It didn’t take my kids long to figure out what to do with them, and they had a great time jumping and rolling through the pile I made for them.
2.Elephants. I’ve never seen an elephant, but I hope to someday get the chance. Actually I wouldn’t mind having an elephant. It would probably come in very handy, and it would make a great conversation piece.
3. Go Karts. I remember building some of the most unsuccessful go karts when I was a kid. My friends and I would spend hours planning to build the greatest go karts, and then our combined lack of any skill sets would conspire to create a dangerous contraption that luckily fell apart before we could drag it to the nearest large hill.
4. Magnifying Glasses. I’ve always been a big fan of looking at stuff with magnifying glasses, and the kids enjoy them too. I was never able to set anything on fire with them, but my wife Jane was.
5. Plaid. I’ve often said that red is my favorite colour. My second favorite colour is plaid. Yes, I consider plaid a colour. I like to think of it as the new black.
6. Professionals. There are some things best left to professionals. Electrical work, some dentistry, some plumbing, and anything having to do with auto repairs are tops on my list.
7. Sea Monkeys. These things are so great. It is amazing to watch them grow from small eggs, and then start to develop advanced societies by building underwater castles, and they look like mermaids when they get bigger. At least that’s what the advertisements and packaging led you to believe if you were 6 years old. The reality was a bit less than promised, but they were part of being a kid and oddly fun.
8. The Others. I really enjoyed this movie. It has such an intense, classic horror movie atmosphere, and I have to admit I was completely caught off guard by the ending. I should have seen it coming.
9. Wagons. Great for carrying things, and when your grand design for building a go kart falls apart, the next best thing for crashing on a large hill.
10. X-Ray Glasses. They promised so much, they delivered so little. Still they are fun, and someday someone is going to invent real x-ray glasses, and look out world!