1. Belts. I never go anywhere without my belt. It is a rare person who can do the suspenders look and not be silly, and I’m not one of them.
2.Calculators. I like calculators. I’ve gone from the age of using a pocket calculator and wandered into the age of needing something I can see and find, so I like really, really big calculators. I also need to be able to read the numbers on the screen so I need one that lights up really bright. They also make good subjects for art.
3. Clocks. I’ve come to the realization that we don’t have enough clocks in our house. None of our clocks seem to have the right time so if we had more clock at least one of them would probably have the right time. At least twice a day.
4. Lemons. So many uses in such a small package. Great for baking, drinking, and practical jokes. They also might be the most beautiful fruit, which is why they look so good in paintings. I mean, limes are okay but they look a bit drab in a still life. Apples look okay, and taste good too, but I’ve never heard of a practical joke involving an apple.
5. Liquorice cigars. One thing I can’t resist is a liquorice cigar. I’m talking about the old fashioned black candy with the red sprinkles on the end. I suggest you have only one because the flavour won’t leave for days.
6. Paper clips. Nothing chases away boredom like a big mess of paper clips. You can spend hours trying to untangle them, and when you are done you can make a great big chain. They are also good for holding sheets of paper together.
7. Revell airplane models. I used to spend a lot of time building model airplanes when I was a kid, and I spent a lot of time hanging them from my ceiling in elaborate dog fights. When I grew bored of them I spent many hours devising elaborate air crashes too. Good times!
8. Gerhard Richter. I’m going to call it. Gerhard Richter is the best painter of the day. I’ve got many artists whose work I love more than Richter’s but few who are as versatile, challenging, and moving. And I can’t think of any who are so dominant as realist and abstract painters at the same time. It is as a realist painter that he really amazes, none are better, and he has done many paintings that people will be looking at in 500 years. Also, he has an awesome website.
9. Zombies. Zombies beat vampires hands down. Vampires have become rather lovable as of late, but it’s impossible to imagine a love story about a charming high school loner who also happens to be a zombie. Maybe this is because of the state of decay and lack of social skills that zombies have. And while being nibbled on the neck might seem kind of charming to a high school cheerleader having your brains eaten might not.
10. Watch caps. Winter is coming and the best way to keep warm is by having a nice wool watch cap. Sometimes people call them toques but I think they are two different things. For me the best way to tell them apart is that a toque has a silly pom pom on top and often has an ugly logo. A watch cap is simple and close fitting and doesn’t have a silly pom pom on top, and a true watch cap should not have an ugly logo on it.