This is not a top ten list, but rather a totally random list of things I like. listed in alphabetical order of course, and complete with links where possible.
1. Cats. I’ve always been a cat person, and I’ve had many cats. Some have had more personality than others, but I’ve enjoyed them all. The cat we have now is a great little black and white cat, and I’ve grown to like her even more lately. With two small kids in the house our cat has shown great patience, and affection to the kids. Any cat willing to be carried around upside down by a 4 1/2 year old, and petted with a brush by a 17 month old is all right by me.
2. Canada. I love Canada, it’s a great country, and I hope it will still be a great country to live in four years from now. Monday I felt panic; now I feel resigned to fate. If one thing can be learned from Monday’s election it is time for the New Democrats, Liberals, and Greens to discuss forming a new party. One that a majority of Canadians can support. Right leaning Liberals seem to have thrown their support to the Conservatives and good riddance to them.
3. Dr Who. I’ve been a long time fan of Dr Who, and Matt Smith who plays the 11th Dr is doing a great job of escaping the very large shadow of David Tennant. Matt Smith seems to be able to make the Dr seem like an old soul, and he is lucky to have one of the best companions in many years played by Karen Gillan. But I have to say that David Tennant owns the role and will probably always be remembered as the greatest Dr.
4. Jenn Grant. I have to admit I’m a bit biased where Jenn Grant is concerned but she is one of the finest singer songwriters in Canada. Her stage show is always great, and she always delights the audience with her amazing voice and personality. “Getcha Good” is one of my favorite of her newer songs and one of her best videos.
5. Kevin Henkes. Over the years I’ve read thousands of children’s books to my daughter and son, and one writer who really stands out is Kevin Henkes. His stories are heartfelt without being overly sentimental, and he is a great illustrator with a wonderful sense of line and colour.
6.Hot Dogs. Summertime comes and it is the season for one of my favorite junk foods. I love BBQing , and I always enjoy a BBQ hot dog with lots of onions, relish, and a cold beer. Sometimes on a Saturday I find myself wandering to the hardware store hoping that a sports team is having a hot dog fundraiser in the parking lot. The only problem is that I spend the rest of the day having hot dog burps.
7.Olfa HandSaver. This is a great kraft knife to have in the studio. It is heavy enough to cut matte board and is great for delicate cutting. It fits nicely in the hand and is safe to use. If the knife is used properly the blade doesn’t slip.
8. Optimism. I like optimistic people and I think I’m an optimist. Sometimes optimists can be amusing. For instance, there is no one more optimistic than a Toronto Maple Leafs fan during golf season.
8. Rives BFK drawing paper. This is a lovely and beautiful drawing paper. It is a versatile paper suitable for drawing, printmaking, and monoprinting.
9 .Sidewalks. I enjoy walking and I love sidewalks. They are great for standing around on and talking. They can also be used for bouncing things on, drawing on, hopscotch, and removing unwanted flesh from your knees. In Charlottetown we have fairly good sidewalks, they could be a bit wider, and in a bit better shape, and there could be more.
10. Waking up in the morning. There are two things I really like about waking up in the morning. The first is that it means I’ve actually managed to get some sleep, and with two small kids I seem to need more sleep than I actually get. The second is that it means I’m not dead, and I really enjoy not being dead. Not being dead means I get to do all kinds of cool things I really like, such as sleeping.